Pastry Cook, Marina Restaurant
POSITION: Marina Restaurant Pastry Cook
BUSINESS UNIT: Restaurants
REPORTS TO: Pastry Chef, Chef on Duty in Pastry Chef's absence
JOB OVERVIEW: The Pastry cook is responsible for the preparation of all pastry and bakery items and the plating of all finished desserts. This position demands a creative flair, and excellent working knowledge of cake presentation, pastries, chocolate work and ice creams.
- In collaboration with the Pastry Chef, creating, maintaining and updating daily pastry features.
- Responsibility for the daily production of bread for the Marina Restaurant.
- Production of pastries, squares and muffins for the Dockside Eatery.
- Responsibility for executing a wide variety of cost effective and visually appealing brunch menu items.
- Using a creative flare to showcase market trends using seasonal and local products, whenever possible.
- Responsible for assisting with special event and cake orders.
- Maintaining the consistency of all plated dessert items through use of a syllabus.
- Learning how to create cost effective pastry recipes.
- Learning how to cost ingredients for batch recipes and plated desserts.
- Ensuring that substandard equipment is reported to the Pastry Chef in a timely fashion.
- Informing the pastry chef of low product inventory.
- Communicating any changes or product requirements to the Chef on Duty.
- Minimizing waste through the effective use of left-over products and production planning.
- Provide exceptional “Yes I Can” service to both customers and crew.
- Ensure high quality and supply of products at all times.
- Comply with all policies, procedures and regulations.
- Ensure safety, sanitation and cleanliness at all times.
- Follow and maintain cleaning schedules to audit standards.
Education and Technical Skills:
- Red Seal Baking Certification or enrollment in the program preferred.
- Basic knowledge of working with chocolate and sugar.
- Baking knowledge including cakes and pastries.
- Food Safe 1 required.
- WHMIS certification.
- 2 years' in a busy pastry department preferred.
Customer Focus: implies a desire to identify and serve customers. It means focusing one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the needs of the customer.
Service Excellence, “Yes I Can” attitude: Treating guests and crew with kindness and enthusiasm; exceeding expectations by anticipating guest’s needs; and resolving guest’s problems, never saying “no” without offering alternatives.
Relationship Building: is working to build or maintain relationships, networks or contacts.
Communicating Effectively: is the ability to ensure your message is clearly understood, regardless of the audience.
Personal Effectiveness: is identifying the best use of your time and other resources at your disposal.
Initiative: involves identifying a problem, obstacle or opportunity and taking appropriate action through proper pathways to address the problems or opportunities.
Innovation: indicates an effort to improve performance by doing or promoting new things, such as introducing a previously unknown or untried solution or procedure to the specific area or organization.
Team Player: is the ability to work co-operatively within diverse teams to achieve group or organizational goals. It includes the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds with diverse views.
Business Perspective: indicates the ability to understand the business implication of decisions.
Job Specific Competencies:
Corporate Creativity: Has the ability to create expression through food that meets the need of specific target markets and aligns with company Strategic and Business Plans.
- Ability to lift upwards of 50 pounds;
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time;
- Ability to bend.
*Note: Details about the position including compensation, benefits, and performance (once hired) will be discussed only with the applicant or employee.