Oak Bay Marina is currently looking for a customer-service focused Assistant Manager to join their dynamic team!
The Assistant Manager supports the General Manager in day-to-day operations of the Marina including contracted and guest moorage, retail and charter services, maintenance of physical plant and grounds, and building positive relationships with members of the community. The position is also responsible for the supervision of all staff and ensures the marina is managed in a manner consistent with Oak Bay Marine Group's policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate will have a post-secondary degree in Business Administration/Commerce, Property Management or equivalent credentials and 1-2 years’ experience leading a team of diverse individuals in a positive manner.
$37,500-47,000 annual salary based on experience. Oak Bay Marina Staff are also able to take advantage of discounts at our onsite Marina Restaurant and Dockside Eatery.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will be posted until filled.
POSITION: Assistant Manager, Oak Bay Marina
BUSINESS UNIT: Marinas
REPORTS TO: General Manager, Oak Bay Marina & North Saanich Marina
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Assistant Manager supports the General Manager in day-to-day operations of the Marina including contracted and guest moorage, retail and charter services, maintenance of physical plant and grounds, and building positive relationships with members of the community. This position’s responsibilities include, (but are not limited to) the following:
- Working with the General Manager, Oak Bay Marina & North Saanich Marina to ensure that:
- All real property and chattels associated with the Marina, as well as the parking lot and associated landscaping are managed to a quality standard suitable to the OBMG and the local community.
- Solid relationships are built with leaders within the community of Oak Bay and including but not limited to the Mayor, Council, and Manager of the District of Oak Bay to ensure effective support for the implementation of future development strategies for the Marina operations.
- Assists the General Manager to ensure that revenue targets are met in all departments; ensures the Marina is at full capacity.
- Assists the General Manager in preparing the annual budget; is responsible for meeting cash flow and budgeted revenue objectives and effectively managing all expense lines of the annual budget.
- Completes all daily, weekly, monthly and annual paperwork and reporting accurately and on time.
- Creates and maintains an environment of exceptional customer service. Ensures that the needs of customers are dealt with in a friendly, professional manner at all times by all staff.
- Ensures that the marina’s physical plant and fixed assets are carefully maintained, cared for, and secured when necessary.
- Ensures the maintenance of the Marina, and surrounding area is up to OBMG standards, creating an exceptional guest environment and a safe environment for crew.
- Manages the Marina in a manner consistent with Oak Bay Marin Group’s policies and procedures; sets the pace and leads by working shoulder to shoulder with crew to assist in serving guests for optimal guest experience.
- Implements a disaster response program that is clearly communicated to all affected.
- Ensures that labour costs are managed in a manner consistent with OBMG policy, cost targets, and customer service standards.
- Ensures all inventories of merchandise, food, fuel and other supplies are kept up to date in a manner appropriate with the season and business levels of the resort.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining a positive environment in support of the ‘Yes I Can’ philosophy.
- Working closely with the OBMG HR department, hires crew that conduct themselves in accordance to the ‘Yes I Can’ philosophy and our S.T.A.R.S. Core Values.
- Supervises all staff– establishes systems to improve crew morale and motivation levels. Supports the S.T.A.R.S. Core Values.
- Follows up on training at all levels, including customer service standards, and supports OBMG training programs and initiatives.
- Implements a program for the follow-up of crew performance through both formal one-on-one scheduled reviews and informal on-the-spot performance appraisals.
- Hires, suspends or terminates crew according to proper personnel practices and OBMG HR policy.
- Actively participates in the Health & Safety Committee. Establishes and follows up on the administration of the Safety and Security Program to ensure all applicable corporate safety and security policies are adhered to.
Education and Technical Skills:
- Post-secondary degree in Business Administration/Commerce, Property Management or equivalent credentials or the equivalent combination of education and experience (see below).
- Mechanical aptitude an asset.
- Knowledge of boats and boating.
- Pleasure Craft Operator’s Certificate (PCOC) required.
- Aware of environmental issues as they pertain to boating and marina operations.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of Products.
- Emergency First Aid and C.P.R..
- Solid analytical skills.
- Knowledge of lease management.
- Solid management, leadership, organizational and project management skills.
- Experience working in a marina or commercial building complex.
- Recent property or asset management experience managing or developing a commercial space would be an asset.
- Experience working with a management team to define and implement marina business strategies or commercial building business development strategies.
- Recent experience leading a team of diversified crew members in a positive manner.
- Experience with construction management, project management, lease management, budgeting and reporting.
Business Acumen: ability to understand the business implications of decisions and the ability to strive to improve organizational performance. Awareness of business issues, processes and outcomes as they impact the client’s and the organization’s business needs.
Improving Operations: ability and motivation to apply one’s knowledge and past experience for improving upon current modes of operation within the Oak Bay Marina.
Leadership: has the desire to lead others, including diverse teams. Sets direction and operates in keeping with an understanding of the industry, political climate, market dynamics and business priorities of the company.
Empowerment: ability to share responsibility with individuals and groups so that they have a deep sense of commitment and ownership.
Change Management: ability to support a change initiative that has been mandated within the organization. Can provide the ongoing guidance and support that will maintain enthusiasm and commitment to the change process.
Holding People Accountable: can set high standards of performance and holds team members, outside contractors, industry agencies, etc., accountable for results and actions.
Communications: Openly communicates in an honest, persuasive and articulate manner.
People Skills: Treats people fairly, with dignity and integrity, to promote commitment and productivity. Develops others by providing a supportive growth environment and by coaching and mentoring. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills and works cooperatively and effectively within and across organizational units to achieve common goals.
Relationships/Client Focus: Seeks and builds internal/external relationships and collaborations. Brings excellence to internal or external clients by focusing efforts on discovering and meeting their needs.
Results Focus: Focuses efforts on achieving quality results consistent with the OBMG current and future business strategies.
- Ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions.
- Standing and walking for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, carry and bend.
*Note: Details about the position including compensation, benefits, and performance (once hired) will be discussed only with the applicant or employee.