1st Cook - Marina Dockside Eatery
Are you a creative individual with leadership qualities and experience in a busy restaurant setting?
Are you looking for an exciting new position working with a great team in an amazing location overlooking the ocean?
We are currently looking for an experienced, hard-working individual to fill a role as a 1st Cook. We want someone who will help us get to the next level as we build on our already successful menu this spring.
This position is great for an individual with creative flair who has at least 2 years’ kitchen experience and an understanding of the operation of a restaurant. This position it suited to someone who is looking to take on a leadership role in the kitchen.
The Marina Dockside Eatery is a licensed establishment, serving Caffé Fantastico coffee and light fare. Situated at the Oak Bay Marina, our spacious patio offers guests an amazing oceanfront view accompanied by friendly customer service.
As part of the Oak Bay Marine Group of Companies, the Marina Dockside Eatery offers great staff incentives, discounts at our various locations and more!
If you want to work in an upbeat, fun, busy place, then we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted until position filled.
JOB OVERVIEW: Cooks are responsible for ensuring all aspects of the daily kitchen set up and tear down are maintained to standard while executing the direction of the Chef and Sous Chef to achieve a cost efficient and high quality of product. They are primarily tasked with preparing all menu items to standard in a cost effective and timely manner.
This position’s responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Demonstrate a professional attitude at all times;
- Communicate effectively with all team members;
- Provide the best guest service possible;
- Ensure high quality and supply of products at all times;
- Comply with all policies, procedures and regulations including the OBMG Employee Handbook;
- Operate and maintain equipment to standard while treating company property with care and respect;
- Ensure safety, sanitation and cleanliness at all times;
- Demonstrate complete knowledge of all menus;
- Read, understand and follow recipes;
- Maintains standards set for quality and presentation;
- Contributes ideas to menu development;
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment
- Always work in a cost-efficient and safe manner
Education and Technical Skills:
- Line cook skills.
- Knife and food preparation skills.
- Knowledge of soups, stocks, sauces, dressing, vegetables and starches.
- Understanding of front of house operations and functions.
- Food Safe – Level One.
- WHMIS knowledge and observance.
- Occupational First Aid is an asset.
- Prior experience working in a restaurant kitchen.
- Comfortable working with or without supervision is required for this position.
- Experience working in high volume and high pressure situations.
- Customer Focus: implies a desire to identify and serve customers. It means focusing one’s efforts on discovering and meeting the needs of the customer.
- Service Excellence, “Yes I Can” attitude: Treating guests and crew with kindness and enthusiasm; exceeding expectations by anticipating guest’s needs; and resolving guest’s problems, never saying “no” without offering alternatives.
- Relationship Building: is working to build or maintain relationship, networks or contacts.
- Communicating Effectively: is the ability to ensure your message is clearly understood, regardless of the audience.
- Personal Effectiveness: is identifying the best use of your time and other resources at your disposal.
- Initiative: involves identifying a problem, obstacle or opportunity and taking appropriate action through proper pathways to address the problems or opportunities.
- Innovation: indicates an effort to improve performance by doing or promoting new things, such as introducing a previously unknown or untried solution or procedure to the specific area or organization.
- Team Player: is the ability to work co-operatively within diverse teams to achieve group or organizational goals. It includes the desire and ability to understand and respond effectively to other people from diverse backgrounds with diverse views.
- Business Perspective: indicates the ability to understand the business implication of decisions.
- Ability to work at speed under duress in an organized manner.
- Ability to work while standing for extended periods.
- The ability to lift up to 50 pounds and lift above head.
- The ability to bend.
*Note: Details about the position including compensation, benefits, and performance (once hired) will be discussed only with the applicant or employee.